The Grammys were this past Sunday. I’m always proud of the people in Rap & R&B who get nominated but come on, it’s the Grammys. I always remember the shit they did to Hip-Hop. Y’all remember the snubs of Rap’s past greats. Do you really think they got a grasp on who is really the best? Do you really think they know who really had the best Rap Album of 2006? Yea, I don’t either, but here are the nominations, winners, & losers of the 49th Grammy Awards. Not all of them of course, they have over a hundred categories, plus, I could give a fuck about who won “Best Southern, Country, Or Bluegrass Gospel Album”. Enjoy.
Producer Of The Year, Non-Classical
- Howard Benson
- T Bone Burnett
- Danger Mouse
- Rick Rubin (winner)
Rick Rubin wins this one and I guess I can’t be mad at that. The man produced Run DMC, LL Cool J, & Beastie Boys (I won’t even get into his Rock credentials). I do respect what Will.I.am is doing with people like The Game and Nas, but I can’t let some of that Fergie shit past.
Best Comedy Album
“Weird Al” Yankovic’s Straight Outta Lynwood didn’t win so fuck it.
Best Rock Or Rap Gospel Album
I didn’t even know this category existed! Damn.
Best Rap Album
- Lupe Fiasco Food & Liquor
- Ludacris Release Therapy (winner)
- Pharrell In My Mind
- The Roots Game Theory
- T.I. King
I’m happy for Luda but I don’t agree they he had the best Rap album of 2006. Why was Pharrell even in this category? In my opinion, T.I. should have won this one. I even think The Roots and Lupe had a better album that Ludacris. But still, another one for the South, the East wasn’t even nominated (wait till next year though).
Best Rap Song
- Yung Joc “ It’s Goin’ Down”
- Lupe Fiasco “Kick, Push”
- Ludacris feat. Pharrell “Money Maker” (winner)
- Chamillionaire feat. Krayzie Bone “Ridin’”
- T.I. “What You Know”
God damn Luda! I thought this was a songwriter(s) award? Yung Joc? Bullshit. Back to “Money Maker” winning the award; I guess that song had better writing than “What You Know” or “Kick, Push”. Yea, whatever. But then again, maybe it’s just Luda’s time. He has been hustlin’ hard lately. I guess I can stop hating now.
Best Rap/Sung Collaboration
- Akon feat. Eminem “Smack That”
- Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z “Deja Vu”
- Eminem feat. Nate Dogg “Shake That”
- Jamie Foxx feat. Ludacris ” Unpredictable”
- Justin Timberlake feat.T.I “My Love” (winner)
Do the Grammy judges love Eminem. Even being a Jay-Z fan, I really didn’t care who won this award.
Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group
- Chamillionaire feat. Krayzie Bone “Ridin’” (winner)
- Ludacris & Field Mob feat. Jamie Foxx “Georgia”
- Nelly Featuring Paul Wall, Ali & Gipp “Grillz”
- Outkast “Mighty O”
- The Roots “Don’t Feel Right”
Chamillionaire wins again. Outkast should have won, but then again Outkast already has a shitload of Grammy awards.
Best Rap Solo Performance
- Busta Rhymes “Touch It”
- Missy Elliott “We Run This”
- Lupe Fiasco “Kick, Push”
- Mos Def “Undeniable”
- T.I. “What You Know” (winner)
T.I. comes home with a Grammy. It’s just sad to think of who could have been nominated instead of Mos Def and Missy. How many people can even sing the songs they had nominated?
Now the rest.
Best Contemporary R&B Album
- Beyoncé B’Day (winner)
Best R&B Album
- Mary J. Blige The Breakthrough (winner)
Best R&B Song & Best Female R&B Vocal Performance
- Mary J. Blige “Be Without You” (winner)
Best Urban/Alternative Performance
- Gnarls Barkley “Crazy” (winner)
Best Male R&B Vocal Performance
- John Legend “Heaven” (winner)
Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
- The Black Eyed Peas “My Humps” (winner)
I happy that shit was in the Pop category and not Rap.
Chris Brown lost Best New Artist to Carrie Underwood